Friday, September 13, 2013

Birthdays are the BEST!

I love celebrating birthdays!  My daughter Mariah turns 19 today.  So today is her birthday!  You know, the day she was born.  Actually, the day she miraculously was born and survived her birth.  She came into this world in a frank breech position with her left arm wrapped around her neck.  Her arm wouldn't give, so her arm was broken during her delivery. To be more clear, her bone actually broke into two separate jagged pieces.  Sorry to be so graphic, but it’s true.  But I must include the fact that her arm healed perfectly.  As for me, I will spare you my gory details.  It truly is a miracle we both survived this ordeal of what we call birthing a baby! I personally feel that every baby that makes it into life and survives is an unexplained wonder.  So for this reason, I love to celebrate birthdays!

This is Mariah


My mother with little money to spare would always make sure we had special birthday parties.  She would go out of her way to have decorations, presents, and a real homemade cake.  We always wanted her to bake her famous German Chocolate Cake.  (Make sure you get the icing recipe below!) Her fun personality would fill the air as she made sure we played lots of games like “Pin the Tail on the Donkey” or almost killing each other as we tried to hit the piñata.   My memories are emotional as I think of the many sacrifices my mother made to insure we had a perfect birthday.  My mother set a high bar for me to follow.


Unfortunately, almost four years ago, I spent the last few weeks with my mother in my home as she lay dying with cancer. I thought to myself how lucky I was to have spent 48 birthdays with her.  I wanted to spend more, but knew this was not going to be.  My mother was my hero.  She is the one who risked her life to give me the day I love to celebrate so much.  So whenever I celebrate a birthday, I think of the many special birthdays my mother gave to me, her time, her talents, and what little she had to make my life that much better.  I’m so grateful today that I was able to spend one more year with Mariah.  And if I’m lucky again, that I can spend many more years with the rest of my family celebrating the miracle of birthdays.


My Mother's German Chocolate Cake Frosting

1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
3 egg YOLKS slightly beaten
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

cook over medium heat until thickens, then stir in  about 3/4 to 1 bag of shredded coconut and 1 cup walnuts.  Or if you prefer pecans then add pecans.  FYI:  My mom would double this recipe just so she could eat half the bowl by herself.  I ain't kidding!

No comments:

Post a Comment