Saturday, January 10, 2015

Cancer 2015: You don't have to be afraid.

January 9, 2015 was a morning I didn't want to face.  I had to go in real early and have a needle biopsy on my left armpit lymph node.  I was scared to death it would hurt.  I also had immense fear of my kids driving me to Scottsdale. When I'm in a car, I'm driving it!  I asked my daughter Sarah to drive me that morning because I would be taking medicine to relax me before my procedure.  Now let me just tell you something.  I was always the kind of person that thought I could tough out everything by myself.  Until the MRI machine was invented!  My surgeon suggested that she would prescribe Lorazepam for me so that I could feel more relaxed during difficult procedures.  So I gave it a try and I'm NEVER turning back!  There is no need to go into a procedure all freaked out.  Except for the fact that my other daughter Mariah that came along that day said I started talking in a Texas accent and talking rather loudly!  Whoops!  Whatever the case, you don't have to be afraid.  With loved ones surrounding you and a little pill of relaxation, anything is possible!

Later that night, just as Emma sat down to do her homework, the smoke alarms all went off in full force.  I mean deafness was upon us if we didn't run out of the house. Never mind we didn't stop to think that the house was on fire! (Which is wasn't) My husband was working late that night and I needed someone to come and help me somehow turn these crazy things off!  I felt an impression to call The Kishpaughs. So Dave and Lynn came over and solved the problem.  I then told them that I had breast cancer.  She told me that a good friend of hers had breast cancer and told me that she would have her call me.  So for one hour that night I spoke with someone that had endured much. She told me that I could get through this.  Looking back, she said that it didn't seem so bad going through Chemo.  She didn't have some of the side effects that others had.  She told me to rely on the Lord and pray about the different choices that would come my way.  Later that evening, I said to Emma, "I know why the smoke alarms went off"  She said, "Why?"  I said, "I needed to talk to someone that could help me better understand what I'm about to go through."  I call that a tender mercy.

Thanks Amber for bringing me beautiful flowers!


January 10, 2015 I received an awesome package in the mail.  My daughter Mariah bought me something really cool.  It's called The Breast Buddy.  A seatbelt cocoon to better cushion delicate mastectomy and breast reconstruction sites. Thank you Mariah!  That was such a kind thought!





I also want to thank Janet for bringing me a delicious dinner today!  One less thing to worry about.  And after having a little "breakdown," I want to thank my home teacher Brother Bryan and my ever kind, loving and patient husband Brad for giving me a blessing to endure another day.

1 comment:

  1. "Let me just tell you something . . . "

    Love this. You're so real. Stay strong. Keep smiling

    ReplyDelete